About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Ultimate in Child Discipline

To say that this school holidays has been difficult would be a massive understatement. I've struggled from the day school broke up. Last night I warned the children that, should more fights break out over the television, I'd pull the plug, turn it around and that would be the end of any telly for the rest of the holidays.

By 8.30 there were two children screaming at each other, a bowl of cereal face down on the floor and me, pulling the plug, turning the set around and putting the remotes away. Amazingly I didn't lose my temper despite being bombarded with begging and cowering and today has been a far more pleasant day than I can remember in a long while.

My friends are concerned that I'm disciplining myself as well as the children; however, I rarely watch television so it's no skin off my nose. I'm hoping this might be a turning point for the last few weeks of summer hols. I'll let you know!

1 comment:

  1. I love it Belinda and I think you are amazing - sometimes little acts have powerful consequences. I just love how the t.v. looks slightly forlorn. Have a good couple of weeks - we are off for the rest of the holidays so will catch up early on in the school term - can't wait to introduce you to Dominique from 2nd handmaid too. Lots of love, Kate xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete