About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Yarn Shortages . . . always a dilemma

DSCF2347

But not today as I have two birthdays to plan for now. I suddenly realised that while I’m beavering away on my mother’s blanket for her birthday and mentally planning Kayley’s it’s Kayley that birthdays first so I need to be doing some serious multi-tasking.

DSCF2344

So when I realised that I was almost out of the light pink yarn for Mum’s blanket I wasn’t too disturbed that I’d not get into town for more until Thursday. I am a little disappointed that I’m so close to finishing the squares (only seven more to go . . . which at 45 minutes per square is still a while in real time, but not long in crochet time).

And I’ve been broGrey Blanketwsing through Pinterest in my spare time looking for more Granny square ideas. I was totally inspired by this blanket . . . from My Sister’s Knitter blog. I’m totally in love with the greys and whites and decided I NEEDED a blanket just like this.

 

1-1

So I went to my second favourite site (apart from Pinterest) Drops Designs on Garn Studio. They have some amazing patterns (mum’s blanket is from there). I trawled through so many patterns that might do the trick and settled on making a mono-chromatic square from here to see what I thought.

DSCF2349

This is my result. I think I’ll need to make some more squares in varying shades of grey (don’t you love having a yarn stash?) before I make a decision. I’ll also need to find some different square designs too. So if you know of some I’d really appreciate links etc. I was toying with the idea of making this as a 500th post give-away. Again, any thoughts? So, it’s off to keep beavering away . . . no rest for the wicked my mother would say. Catch up soon!

2 comments:

  1. The squares are looking good! I've only made a few motif blankets, as I get very tired of the sewing involved..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the sewing, but I tend to crochet my squares as I go. I do totally despise sewing in tails though, which is why I used to always stay away from multi colours motifs. Again, sewing them in as soon as the square is finished helps.

      Delete