About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

It is with great pleasure I present . . .

DSCF2458

Yes, after weeks of dogged concentration, determination and complete pleasure I’ve finished the Gala Blanket.

There were times when I wondered why on earth I’d undertaken this task . . . the fear that I wouldn’t be able to create 36 different squares that all looked good in the grey-scale colour scheme was probably the most daunting concern.

 

DSCF2455

The other major concern was whether it would be big enough to be of any use to anyone. Laying the finished blanket out on my bed, and I feel that it’s just the right size to throw over yourself if you’re a bit chilly.

 

DSCF2463

And the other concern that ran through my head with every stitch I made was, what will I do with the border. Well, Kate from Greedy for Colour came to the rescue last week. It’s an amazing book, and I’m going to order a copy next week because it’s fabulous. But it’s so fabulous I don’t want to loose it in this post, so next week I promise.

 

DSCF2461

So, nearly 60 hours of crochet and the project is complete. This has to be the most rewarding thing I’ve made to date. I can’t quite work out why, but I think so much of me went into it, into creating individual squares, the research into other people’s work to gather inspiration (or see if I could figure out how they’d made something), and the love I tried to put into each square. It’s going to be difficult to let it go.

2 comments:

  1. The Gala Blanket looks great, what a lot of work, but worth it,I love the greys then work well. Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blanket. I'm not a fan of grey but this is stunning. I really like all the different textures.

    ReplyDelete