About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Never Do Anything by Halves

DSCF2476

For those of you who have read this blog for a while, you’ll know that I never do anything unless I go at it 100%. And it seems that the idea of making socks is no different.

I had a lovely time at the library this morning. The knitting and crochet books are located on the bottom two shelves so I kicked off my shoes and sat on the floor taking my time to search through each title.

I’m almost embarrassed to say I came home with no less than six sock books. This concerns me that someone will go up there looking for a sock book and not find one, but I’m hoping that our hot and humid summer will put even the most enthusiastic sock knitter off looking for books for the next week or so.

DSCF2475

And, also true to my personality, I had to come straight home and get started. I wasn’t too happy with the yarn choice while I did the cuff but now I’m on the body of the sock I’m loving it. It reminds me of boysenberry ripple ice cream.

Now, there’s just one problem with sock knitting. I almost never make the same pattern twice. I think I have a low tedium threshold and making the same thing twice seems a little pointless. However, by the very nature of socks it’s kind of necessary to make two. But I’m determined!

I am so inspired by Alice at Crochet with Raymond and her gorgeous socks. Alice loves making socks so much at this year she’s limited herself of one pair a month. Recently she confessed that often she has to push herself through the tedium of sock number two, but the glorious pair she ends up with is worth the hard work. I will remind myself of this in a few days when I get to sock two. The first sock is like the first leg of a long haul holiday. I get to LA (or somewhere in Asia depending upon the carrier) and think . . . this is so much fun. The second sock is like the feeling I get when I’m about five hours from my final destination I’m wondering why on earth I started out on the journey in the first place.

So keep your fingers crossed with me that I can get through a pair as I’d love to wrap these up with Mum’s blanket for her birthday on 25 March. That’s the plan anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I have that same yarn. I made one sock and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get started on the second. My problem is that I wanted to tackle the art of making socks and now that I have achieved making one [couldn't believe how easy it was by the way] I have no desire to get started on the 2nd one. I keep telling myself I'll start it in Winter. We'll see. I'm wishing you better motivation than mine with this, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know that feeling well. Hopefully the inspiration will return to you again soon. Thank you so much for the support. Belinda

      Delete
  2. Ooh I wouldn't have the patience to knit socks! Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never say never . . . socks just seem to creep up on you and, before you know it, you're knee deep in one (pardon the pun). Belinda.

      Delete