About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Piles of Pleasure

DSCF2490

Wow, it’s been a busy day. But it’s also been quite pleasurable and quite productive. I may be in “sock” mode right now but the squares are also present in my life.

I’ll be honest, it’s a battle right now to make myself do a square each day, but it’s worth it to see the pile slowly growing. And, having another project, that is not crochet related, on the go means I’m able to stick to my no joining as I go rule.

I was concerned that only three squares from a 100gm ball of yarn would mean I’d have to use two balls of each colour for this blanket. This would break my other rule this year . . . thrifty at all times. Then I got to thinking, there are lots of babies being born right now and cot/car blankets are always popular and this will be about the perfect size once it’s joined and bordered, so there’s no need to worry.

DSCF2479

This afternoon I took the kids to Nanny and Granddad’s for a swim. I am so loving it now all the children are water savvy, competent enough to swim without me being in the water, and are complete water babies. It means I no longer have to go in with them. I get very itchy skin from hot water (even getting in the shower at this time of the year can be a nightmare). Now I get to watch and work at the same time.

DSCF2484

This is Kayley. She may look impressive but it was one very loud belly flop. Actually, it may have even been a face flop. It doesn’t stop her though. She’s been training for the school triathlon next week so she’s all fired up.

DSCF2481

Rogan is the biggest fish of all I think. He spends more time under the water than on top. And he’s very much a ‘free’ swimmer, which probably makes it difficult for his swimming teacher. However, she’s such a honey that she puts up with him.

DSCF2488

And Janae is the ‘next generation’ swimmer. Her confidence is astounding sometimes. I haven’t seen many four year olds able to dive in the way she does. And this week at lessons she was doing freestyle and adding the breathing in too. Go Janae.

DSCF2492

But craft is never far away from my fingers and while the children have been out being educated I’ve been working on my sock. I so love self striping yarns as they make patterns I can only dream of. I have to say, I am completely in love with the process so far. I don’t know why I struggled so much trying socks last year. I’m still hoping, however, that the enthusiasm will last through sock two. Hopefully I’ll have a complete one to show you by the end of the weekend. We’ve got some fun plans, weather permitting . . . I hope your weekend is fun too!

3 comments:

  1. My goodness you are SO clever! I find it difficult to knit with two needles let alone 4 like that! I don't knit often because I am told I look like I am having some sort of fit while I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a funny mental image. Don't give up though Jay. My Mum taught me to knit when I was young and I was terrible! It wasn't until I discovered crochet that knitting finally made a bit more sense and as daunting as four needles look, once you get started it's almost easier than two cos you just go round in circles. And YouTube has some great video tutorials.

      Delete
  2. That crochet square stitch is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete