About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ahhhhhhhh That’s More Like It

DSCF0181

Yesterday was the first day back after the school holidays and my Mum rang to see if I’d like to go to lunch with her and some of her friends. Hmmm, how difficult was that to answer? Not very.

We went to the restaurant at the Sebel’s hotel on Trinity Wharf.  It’s very stylish and sits right out over the Tauranga harbour. Of course, when one takes Jo (pictured left) along it’s never very stiff upper lip. Actually, it’s more quivering lip as one tries not to laugh too loud. She looks very demure here but just prior to this photograph she was writing notes to the window cleaner trying to get him to divulge his secret window cleaning recipe.

TSTWT-Exterior-Shot-by-Day-2

This is a picture from the Sebel’s website. You can just imagine how difficult it would have been to turn down an invitation to dine here.

The only down side . . . I just couldn’t bring myself to take some craft along to do while we chatted. Oh well, it didn’t kill me to go without for a couple of hours.

DSCF0183

And today was a very special treat. I was taking Janae to kindy and didn’t really feel like going home to housework, especially as there was only one more day until the cherubs were home for Anzac Day. Hmmm, me thought, I’ll bet Kate’s at home. I wonder if she’d mind if I just called in. I mean, let’s face it. Life’s short so it was Bull by the Horns, Carpe Diem, Just Do It time. I’m not a “caller-inner” or a “drop-byer” so this was outside my comfort zone.

I need not have worried. Arms open for a big hug. A hot cuppa and on the phone to Dominique to change plans and ask Dominique if she’d go to Kate’s instead of the other way around. I cannot tell you how blissful it was to sit and knit with other sitters and knitters. It totally made my day!

DSCF0184

Kate had a new nephew so she’s busily knitting up a gorgeous stripped jumper for him. I’m looking forward to seeing the finished product. She also has this amazing app on her Ipod that I must get the address for. It helps her work out gauges, increases and decreases etc. I NEED that I can tell you as maths is not my strong suit.

 

DSCF0185

Dominique is whipping up a stripy jumper too. It’s for the most beautiful rabbit I’ve ever seen. Go check out her blog (and I’ll give you a hint, the jumper isn’t for the snuffly bunny that you first see).

So, all in all, it’s been a fabulous start to the school term. The little ones are home tomorrow as our country remembers those brave men who died in the first and second world wars. I need to be a little more down to earth than that and intend to get out the hoover, start at the bottom and work my way to the top of my house before we enjoy what might be the last of the sunshine for a while. Hope your days have been as pleasing as mine!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day! I too am not someone to just drop by friends house but oh how lovely it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous place for lunch, no, I wouldn't have been able to resist either!
    I'm another one who doesn't 'drop by' but it looks like you had a really happy time so perhaps we should all step out of our comfort zones once in a while.
    Thank you for your congratulations on our Silver Wedding.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete