About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Cheating

 

DSCF0013

I was feeling very ill myself yesterday so most of the afternoon was spent quietly knitting at my parents while the children played in the garden and Mum did the attention and discipline thing. I finally gave in to a mighty headache and took some paracetamol about four and immediately started feeling better. So much better that I finished the first of the latest pair of socks.

I’m so in love with this yarn that I can’t stop knitting. I’m done with the top of the second sock and I decided to cheat a bit. You see, this pattern calls for some two inches of reverse stocking stitch, which means purl every round for ages. I noticed that the first sock had some alarming laddering where the needles changed. So on this sock I decided to go backwards and keep knitting. This has avoided the laddering but I do have a little hole where I turned the other way. I’ll have to figure out how to avoid this for next time.

DSCF0011

Easter Sunday was, as every year, a hit with chocolate bunnies being devoured quite early. I think Rogan’s still suffering a little as he has about quarter of his bunny left. Janae’s was all gone by 10am, and now the one her Nana gave her is eaten too. Ah well, once it’s all gone there can be no more nagging for chocolate.

And tomorrow we’re off to Auckland for the day. The children haven’t seen their dad since last summer so we’ll catch up with him as well as my grandmother. I think we’re off for a bit of a picnic at Western Springs where there’s plenty of room to run about, birds to feed and lots of trees to sit under, chat and knit. I’m quite looking forward to it. I just wish there was going to be time to visit my favourite yarn shop in Devonport, but I doubt that’ll happen this time. Perhaps when the lovely Carolyn and I are up there for the Mainly Music conference next month.

4 comments:

  1. If you are coming tomorrow (i.e. Tuesday) and it's fine, as you are wandering Western Springs keep an eye out for me crocheting while the girls feed the ducks. I had intended to dispose of some of the leftover bread there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be so cool if we see you. I'll be sure to say hello if we do! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those socks are the yummiest colour! I'm knitting some long socks for my oldest at the moment, lovely fuzzy chunky wool. I do still find that second sock a bit of a drag though! I grew up in Devonport, we moved here four years ago and I LOVE that wool shop too, haven't been there for ages though. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dominique, didn't get to the wool shop but we had a great time. Socks will hopefully be done tomorrow.

      Delete