About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sanity Looming

It’s been a busy school holiday and quite pleasant. We got the one illness out of the way early, we’ve had a trip to Auckland and we’ve managed to fill in each day without drama and tantrums. It’s been lovely. However, I have two whole days of no children starting from 10am this morning. I’d have to look back among months of blogging to find out the last time this occurred for longer than a couple of hours.

We dropped Kayley at her camp (and I’ve worried about her ever since). It was almost insulting at how independent and unconcerned she was about spending five whole nights away from home. She gave me a cursory hug, pushed me aside and said “Okay, see ya Friday”. But before we dropped her off we spent the morning at the Bethlehem Market.

DSCF0030.I managed to get the children a gift each for under $2 and you can’t complain about that. And for me, I got this lovely pink cake tin, come cupcake cases and a recipe book packaged up for a mere $3. Oh how I love a bargain. So check out what I’m going to make this afternoon in my peaceful and tidy home . . .

 

DSCF0031

I love the look of the frosting on these and who doesn’t love coffee cake? I’m going to attempt to do the icing as the book tells me that it’s unbelievably easy. If I don’t share a photo of the finished articles you’ll know I botched it up . . . and be warned . . . cake icing isn’t my forte at all.

DSCF0029

As for yarny things? I’ve been attempting to design my own socks. I had almost a whole ball of the alpaca/possum yarn left over from Dad’s socks and have been wondering what to do with it. I figured after five pairs of socks in a row (five and a half as Rosa’s have one sock complete) i knew enough about the basic construction of a sock to have a go at my own. It’s been surprisingly straight forward. The only real difficulty was working out the heel turning. I also want to do a double rib for the cuff so the second sock may not be an exact match, but I don’t mind. I’m also obsessed with cables and am currently doing some research into designing with cables so I can play with more intricate designs than a simple twist. Thank goodness I’ve got stacks of old yarn to play around with.

Now I’d better make some beds, pack some bags and prepare for a cup of tea with Janet and Bill this morning sans children. I love them, I’ll miss them, but I’ll enjoy the space too.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky you! I'm sending the girls to the movies for a couple of hours to get some peace. I did get to Western Springs this morning with a friend and her toddler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well enjoy what solitude you have. Would have been a lovely morning at WS. I've just enjoyed my cup of tea, lots of knitting and crochet chat and come home with a couple of books towards my cable research. Can you guess what I'll be doing while I'm supposed to be mowing the lawn?

      Delete