About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Wonderful Weekends


This weekend was supposed to be about the children going off for a wee 'holiday' while I had some down time. Well, the best laid plans and all that. For the most part, I've had a fabulous time. First of all though we had to get through the first netball game of the year. Here's my girl looking very Irene van Dyke as she has a pre-match chat with her team mates. It was something of a walk-over however with our team winning 13-1. This continues the winning streak from last season. The girls have yet to lose a game and I'm dreading the day when they do.

But it wasn't all about racing about town getting kids to their respective events. I did get some knitting time in too.
Our Janet has asked me to make some fingerless gloves for her friend. Then she had Bill drop off this wee treat. How wonderful for something to come in a junk food container that is guaranteed not to put weight on. This beautiful de-haired angora and merino blend was a little frightening to start with. Now I'm into it, I'm loving it and may have to keep an eye out for some balls for my own stash.
Here's the beginning of the glove. I've had untold trouble with lace patterns this weekend. Two lacy patterns I've tried knitting have both had errors in the patterns. One of them kept losing two stitches every row and I don't have enough experience with knitting lace to know how to fix it so I gave up in disgust last night and buried myself in "Call the Midwife" instead.

But this morning, after a false start, I found the peace and got started. I'm enjoying making these gloves and will even pretend that I might make a pair for Kayley.

The false start I mentioned was the first fishing trip in four years. My parents called last night and we organised that I'd be at their place by seven this morning ready to go. Well, never one to give up a rare sleep in lightly, I agreed that seven would be no problem.

As I was driving to their place, I had to stop and take this picture. Talk about bliss. Now this is a reason to get out of bed early. Actually, it was the only reason I got out of bed early in the end. Poor Mum had suffered a migraine during the night and just wasn't well enough to fish. Home I trudged, a little disappointed, as well as a little relieved that I had a few more hours of solitude ahead. I think getting the picutre was worth it all.

Only a short while left until I gather up the brood so I think I'd better sign off and set about soaking it all up for a bit longer.

2 comments:

  1. I've just made some fingerless mitts for the girl and myself, crocheted rather than knitted though. I really should get my needles out and see if I can still knit at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. You may be surprised how much your crochet will have improved your knitting!

      Delete