About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

YUM!

4

I was browsing in the library the other day looking for books about bread making . . . one of my latest obsessions. And I discovered this book, which can only be described as a “must have”.

The title is difficult to see, but it’s called “The New Zealand Cook’s Bible” and it’s the most comprehensive book for tips, tricks, skills and recipes that I’ve ever found. It retails for about 65 dollars but I think it’s going to be worth investing in.

Yesterday I made up a batch of jam filled doughnuts and today I made this wee masterpiece . . .

3

This is my favourite dessert of all time Creme Caramel and it’s so easy to make. I made my first caramel from scratch. That was both terrifying and exhilarating at the same time . . . oh the terror of sending the caramel too far, or not quite far enough.

The custard was a piece of cake (or custard) but the real test was working out how to tell if it was “just set” as the recipe required. Well, it’s turned out of the bowl perfectly and I can’t wait to eat it!

2

I’ve also been busy making this (which is also difficult to see) it’s a scarf for my mum to wear when she’s in the UK next January. Remember the beautiful green yarn I shared with you last time? Well, it’s in the bin I’m afraid.

I got up a couple of mornings after getting out kitten and found it wound around the table legs, sofa, over the bench, under the table, around the fireplace. There was just no way I could untangle it. I have only just gotten over the horror of it.

Making this has helped the the grief process. It’s a merino, brushed mohair blend of 2ply and the pattern is a diamond lace. It’s taking some time and it’s quite challenging so it hasn’t grown much over the holidays, but I’m making progress and that’s all that matters.

Now the school holidays are over, we’ve survived each other once again and I’m pleased to announce that it’s going to rain tomorrow. Also, my car needs to go to the mechanic so I’ll be stuck at home, indoors, with all the chores done and only crafting to do. Can you imagine how much I’m looking forward to that? I have a sneaky feeling that you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment