About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sew sew sew

IMG_20120731_113244

I have a Bible that was given to me by a dear friend many years ago. It’s not flash like my leather bound one but it’s my favourite and I love it. However there’s only one word to describe it . . . UGLY so it was time to do something about it.

I’ve had an idea brewing in my little mind for quite some time but there have been one or two impediments: the usual chaos of the room I sew in; the loss of my sewing mojo; the lack of necessary equipment.

This weekend saw us organising the room, solving that issue. A big breath and a pep talk sorted out the mojo and when my mum said she was taking a trip to Spotlight I placed an order for half a metre of wadding. All things in place and I whipped up a book cover.

IMG_20120731_113258

I’m amazed by two things: it actually fits the book and it didn’t take long at all. I must admit, it’s not quite finished. The strap needs some sort of attachment. I was leaning towards Velcro but as the lovely Carolyn pointed out, it might be a bit noisy during those quite and contemplative moments shared with others. I’ve got some press domes so I’ll attach those and the Bible cover will be complete. Quite looking forward to bringing it out on Friday, flashing it about a bit and hopefully getting some ooohs and aaaahs.

The other big thing in my life right now is Weigh Watchers. I have finally kicked the smoking habit and have realised if I can beat that I can beat anything so now it’s time to tackle the weight. I’ve been going two weeks and have lost a grand total of 3kg. I’ve been quite naughty both weeks and haven’t done a great deal of exercise so this week I’m going to try and be very disciplined and see what I can achieve. I’ll let you know what happens!

2 comments:

  1. I am sure you will get a lot of "ooh's and aah's' when people see your beautiful bible cover, love the fabric. It is so true that we can work so much better when the area is neat and tidy. Wish I had a dedicated craft room, must be the height of luxury.
    Well done on stopping smoking, it isn't easy, I'm an ex-smoker so know how hard it is. The weight will come off, you are doing well already.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement Carol, it means a lot. As for the luxurious craft room, I'm afraid it's anything but; I share it with my children's toys, the cat, and all manner of other things, but I can also shut the door on it all and ignore it so that helps.

      Delete