About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Square Pattern and CK

213091068_full

First things first, I know I’m well and truly behind the 8-ball, but I’ve recently been playing with the idea of slapping some paint on walls and some old bits of furniture. Our house is now almost three years old and I’m ready to be a bit bolder with colour. So I’ve been silently turning things over in my mind.

I am not a floral person at all, however, I love the colour combinations in Cath Kidston’s designs and I’m thinking that I can incorporate these into my very boring cream and brown decor.

I got talking with the lovely Carolyn the other day and I began to browse through CKs website. Oh the joy. I’m secretly coveting this tea pot.  My Mum is off to the UK in January and I’m thinking I could have it delivered to my Aunt and Mum could bring it home. I’m almost tingling at the anticipation.

IMG_20120826_120954

A day spent at my parents allowed me space to feel awful but to keep creating. I’ve made good progress on my blanket and have started on the second row. I love this stage because you get to see how the colours really integrate with one another. I’m pleased with the overall effect.

IMG_20120826_121025

And now for the pattern:

I’m using double knit and a 4mm hook.

Rnd 1 Using Colour A, chain 6 and join with a skip stitch
Rnd 2 Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 15 dc into ring, join in third of starting ch 3. (16 dc)
Rnd 3 Ch 3, 2 dc cluster, ch 1 into same as joining. * 3 dc cluster, ch 1 in next stitch. Repeat from * around. Join with sl st into top of first cluster. (16 clusters). Fasten off.
Rnd 4  Join Colour B in any one chain space. Ch 3, 1 dc in same space. * Dc in next dc, 2 dc in next space. Repeat from * around. (48 dc). Join with sl st into third of starting ch 3.
Rnd 5 Ch 1, sc, chain 5, sc into same as joining. *Ch 3, skip next 3 stitches, sc in next. Ch 5, skip next 3 stitches, sc in next. Ch 3, skip next three stitches, sc in next. Ch 5, sc in same stitch. Repeat from * around. Join with slip st into first sc.
Rnd 6 Slip st into first Ch 5 space. Ch 3, 4dc, ch 2, 5 dc in same corner space. *Sc into next ch 3 space, 5 dc in next ch 5 space, sc in next ch 3 space. [5 dc, ch 2, 5dc] in next 5 ch corner. Repeat from * around. Join with slip stitch in third of starting ch 3. Fasten off.
Rnd 7 Join colour C in any corner ch 2 space. *sc, ch 5, sc in corner space. Ch 5, dc in sc, ch 2, sc in third dc, cd 2, dc in sc, ch 5. Repeat from * around. Join withe slip stitch in first sc.
Rnd 8 slip st into corner Ch 5 space. [ch 3, 2dc, ch 2, 3 dc] in corner space. *5 dc in next ch 5 space, 2 dc in next two ch 2 spaces, 5 dc in next ch 5 space, [3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc] in corner ch 5 space. Repeat from * around. Join with slip stitch into third of starting ch 3. Fasten off.
Rnd 9 Join Colour D in any corner ch 2 space. sc, ch 2, sc in each corner and sc in each dc across.

As usual I join squares as I go and I have used this technique: so don’t fasten off when finished with Round 9 unless you’re going to use your own joining method.

Hopefully that’s Chrystal clear and works out right.

And I’ll leave you today with a lovely pic of my baby girl feeding my baby lamb.

IMG_20120826_104847

4 comments:

  1. beautiful, beautiful pattern Belinda - I will try it out soon. Love Kate xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate. Fancy a cuppa this week?

      Delete
  2. The afghan is coming along nicely! Love the color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you . . . they're to prepare my mind for living room make-over time.

      Delete