About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Trials, triumphs and not really knitting

DSCF0182

Janae is off to a mermaid party on Saturday and I’ve had this fabric waiting for some time to make up into her little mermaid outfit. She’s so in love with the material that she almost took it to bed last night.DSCF0183

So tonight I thought, it’s all cut out . . . get to sewing. Huh. My machine just isn’t cutting it. There is something about the material that makes the needle all sticky and then the cotton gets stuck to the needle and won’t sew. I’ve tried two other types of needles with the same problem. Thankfully the tail is sewn together so tomorrow I’ll find a sunny spot and sew it up by hand. Not my favourite job, but I can’t let my girl down now.

DSCF0180

As for the triumphs and “not really knitting” part of my title, I did make this today. And what fun it was, even if I don’t really feel like it was knitting.

DSCF0181

I’ve seen these scarves around a lot and seen kits for making them etc so today I grabbed a ball as I sailed past while in Spotlight, and sat at the Lovely Carolyn’s table chatting. I knitted, she sewed. Within three or four hours (not all of that was spent at her house, we took our collective brood for a hot swim and continued with craft and conversation) the scarf was complete and ready to wear.

Tomorrow Janae and I are making our pre-school-holiday pilgrimage to the library for holiday supplies so I think I might sneak into Spotlight (no where near the library I must confess) and grab a ball of something else. I can’t quite believe I’ve got a fabulous scarf for under ten dollars and made in less than half a day. I could get used to knitting like that!

2 comments:

  1. I love the scarf! Did you use a pattern or make up your own pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, the pattern is part of the yarn. Check out your yarn store for them. It's so easy it's almost impossible to muck it up and the effect is great.

      Delete