About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Hectic Hols

It’s been a hectic first week of the school hols. I had been hoping for a quiet time, just the four of us. However, we’ve been out every day, we haven’t been to bed before eight pm and we’re all at a very grouchy, grumbly, over-tired place.

I have, however, found time to have lots of fun creating. I’m not sure where this time has come from, but I managed to give my mother three hand-made gifts today.

DSCF0187

I had hoped to have this finished before she left for Australia. Unfortunately that just wasn’t possible. But I did get it finished the day she flew out . . . then procrastinated on sewing the ends in until this morning.

I’m really pleased with the outcome, although I don’t think I’ll make another.

So what did I procrastinate on?

DSCF0189

This shawl. I was cruising through Pinterest the other day and saw a lovely shawl. Following the links through I couldn’t find an actual pattern. So I pulled apart a jumper I had started (and never finished) for myself and got started. I had a couple of false starts realising I hadn’t increased frequently enough and then I trawled through Pinterest again looking for an edging. I came across this on Ravelry. Strangely enough it’s very similar to my own shawl so I can’t have been doing too much wrong. It is my intention to write a pattern, but please don’t hold your breath because it could be some time in coming.

And now I’m working on . . .

DSCF0191

Gloves. Apologies for the terrible picture. If you click this link you’ll see what they’re supposed to look like. I cannot tell you how much fun I’m having. However, I’m finally at the part where I need to make the fingers and I’m so shattered I can’t understand the pattern. I’ve now put them down and will look at them again tomorrow.

Finally, I got Janae’s mermaid skirt finished.

DSCF0185

It’s so far from perfect that it’s almost shameful sharing it with you. However, one of the benefits of being four (I mean four and a half) is that anything sparkly, made my mum and loosely resembling a mermaid is the very best thing in the whole world. She even tried to wear it to bed. Now she has a little sarong and pretty pink t-shirts all the way from Australia (thank  you Nanny) that this skirt is all but forgotten, but it got her through the first week of the hols so I won’t complain. She will be five in eight weeks so I have a couple of projects up my sleeve to make up part of her birthday gifts, hopefully they’ll be as gratefully received.

1 comment:

  1. haha I just love the pose she is doing in her mermaid outfit! Children are great with their easily pleasedness!!

    ReplyDelete