About Me

My Photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Busy Times

Wow it’s been such a busy time lately. I can’t think where the time has gone. I have one little girl awaiting grommits, tonsils out, adnoids out and some other nasal procedure . . . added to this she starts school in two weeks. She’s tucked up in bed with a red raw throat and sore ear tonight, which strangely is a blessing as I thought she was in for a dose of “chicken pops”.

The other two are beavering away at school awaiting summer holidays with the bleary eyed look of children who have worked hard for a whole year.

I came up with the bright idea of gathering some women to do the desert for our church’s 40th anniversary dinner on Saturday night. 300 macaroons, 100 plates and lots of help later we fed the masses and had lots of fun.

And I’ve been knitting . . . thankfully as I think I’d have gone mad otherwise.

DSCF0311

My mum is off to the UK in January for her sister’s 90th birthday and I’ve been busy making things for her to take and to wear. My cousin is having a wee boy on new years day so I made this for Mum to give to her.

Mum has a suitcase full of warm things to wear too, including gloves, scarves, socks and shawls. And then I realised there’s one member of my family I almost never make anything for. My dad admires everything I make and, uncharacteristically, a couple of times a year mentions how great he thinks it is and how he sees my knitting and crochet as my sanity barometer. So I have embarked on a jumper just for him.

DSCF0310

Here’s what I’ve done so far. I cannot tell you how much fun this project is. Every row is different (well for 16 rows, and then you start from the beginning again) and you know that the pattern is coming together when you can knit and only consult the pattern once or twice in an hour. I’ve been watching a film about Sarah Palin this afternoon and busily knitting because I’m almost at the armhole and I just want the back finished so I can see it in its entirety.

There is a light at the end of our busy tunnel. I’m taking the children out of school on Friday and we’re off to Pukehina beach.

I’m told it’s quiet, it’s remote and there’s very little to do but hang out on the beach, read books, walk and all those lovely and relaxing things you need on a long weekend away. I just can’t wait. All I have to do is remember to take my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment