About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Early Summer Holiday

DSCF0325

Remember last week I told you we were off to Pukehina? Well, look at the weather we had. Three days of sunshine, sand and sea.

DSCF0337

I’ve had a dream all year that at some point I’d be falling asleep to the sound of waves crashing on the shore and that’s what we had. The girls are just off the deck making houses for fairies.

DSCF0324

We spent lots of our day chasing waves and being chased in return. In fact, during our Saturday evening after dinner walk Rogan and Janae managed to come home sopping wet as a huge waved dumped on them. No sooner had I uttered the words “come back a bit you’re too deep” along came the wave. Rogan laughs now but he wasn’t a happy chap for the walk back to the house.

DSCF0336

In preparation for bad weather (I mean who truly trusts the weather man) I’d packed all sorts of indoor amusements. Mum dug out the jigsaw puzzle and agonized over it for three days.

DSCF0356

But working together we managed to get it completed about an hour before it was time to leave. It was a tricky little puzzle for only 500 pieces.

Do you know the strangest thing? I knitted a grand total of three rows the whole time we were away. I did, however, manage to finish a book I’ve been sleeping through for six months (it was a really interesting book, I was just too brain dead to get through it) and now I’m half way through Julie and Julia. Holidays really are good for the soul.

DSCF0330

It was a lovely weekend and it’s set us up for the rest of the school year. I’ve made a blanket no TV rule until the end of term because I was concerned at how difficult the children found having to amuse themselves. I’ve determined that we’re going to get lots of quiz type board games for Christmas since Rogan managed to get to eight thousand dollars all by himself in the “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” game. And I’m sure we’ll be going back to Pukehina at the other end of summer.

Thank you Gwen and Ron. Your little holiday home was a huge gift to us.

Now it’s frantic preparation for one little girl to turn five and start school in just six days time!

No comments:

Post a Comment