About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas is coming

I’ve been so busy lately trying to finish my father’s Christmas gift that I’ve been neglecting blogging. But, this morning I managed to get it completed (all bar buttons which I’ll get tomorrow).

DSCF0382

I know I’ve said it before, but this was just so much fun. Every row took a small amount of concentration, which was great for me as I’m easily bored. Janae is a little worried that it’s a “girl” colour, but I don’t think so.

I got the pattern from this magazine:

f_1050233

It’s old but I’m sure you’ll find it on Ebay. There are a couple of other projects I’m dying to try too, but need to get Christmas out of the way first. I must admit, it feels strange giving my father a snuggly winter jumper when it’s 25 degrees outdoors, but I know he’ll understand. One thing I must point out: the pattern was written using Aran wool, which I believe is 10ply. It was difficult to find good quality 10ply wool and difficult to find the colour I was looking for. So, on a huge and wobbly limb I went and chose an 8ply or double knit instead. I used the same sized needles as specified in the pattern and chose one size bigger to follow. It looks like it will be a perfect fit.

DSCF0383

Now, anyone who knits and/or crochets knows, it’s impossible to be without a project. So, once the lawn was mowed this morning I went in search of some yarn to start this:

LW3152

It’s a free RedHeart pattern that I just fell in love with as soon as I saw it. And I must say that returning to crochet after knitting for so long has been great. Again, it’s a pattern that requires a level of concentration and is quite varied in stitch requirements so I don’t think it’s going to be difficult to keep the enthusiasm going throughout.

I trust you’re all set for Christmas, or almost. My baking is in the freezer (so I don’t eat it), the gifts are all hidden away (but not wrapped) and I’m off with my Mum to get my own gift tomorrow. At last, after three years of hinting, there’ll be a gazebo under the tree for my patio. I’ll be knitting and crocheting in shaded and cool bliss this summer. Pop over for a cuppa if you’ve got time. I’d love to see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment