About Me

My photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Friday, December 7, 2012

The Mission of Turning Five

DSCF0358

My baby has finally turned five and it was a whirlwind of social activities to make it there.

There was the last swimming lesson, the final Mainly Music, the last day of Kindergarten, a birthday party and then the big day. I don’t know about Janae, but I was exhausted by it all.

DSCF0362

We shared goodies with lots of people. At kindy Janae shared lollipops and mini cupcakes with her friends. At swimming lessons she gave her teacher a card, written by herself, and a bunch of roses out of Nanny’s garden. But Mainly Music was a time when Janae got something just for her. Her own Bible and a cupcake (as MM tradition allows). She’s been waiting for her own Bible all year and what a proud girl she was.

DSCF0365

Needless to say, on the morning of her birthday she was up bright and early to open her gifts. The heart shaped bead box was a hit and she had a necklace made before breakfast.

DSCF0366

Then off to school with us. She was most disappointed that I wouldn’t let her catch the bus, but I think she understood that Mum needed to drop her last baby off on the first day of school.

DSCF0367

And off she went all grown up. I will confess I didn’t shed a tear this day as it was with some relief that we’d managed to survive preschool years. I did, however, have a sniffle the next day as she left on the school bus without a kiss, hug or even a backward glance. (I’m over that feeling now too.) And her teacher tells me – after just four days of school – that it’s like she’s been at school all year, so confident is she, already displaying leadership qualities. Hmmm, I wonder where that bossy streak came in.

So you would think that I’d have had time to do lots of crafting. Alas, after one blissful day relaxing on the sofa watching six hours of Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth version of course) my eldest came down with the most horrendous cough/cold and I’ve had her company all week. Maybe next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment