About Me

My Photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Oh the irony

My littlest cherub has been through the mill in the last week. We had a night in the local hospital as she’d had her tonsils removed, adenoids removed, grommets in her ears and what I can only describe as a hot poker shoved up her nose.

Needless to say, it’s been a rough four days for her. She has a squeeky, nasely voice, dark rings under her lovely blue eyes and plenty of tears. And, also needless to say, I’m a bit the same. In the greatest of life’s ironies I’ve come down with tonsillitis myself. I’m sure it’s a sympathy vote for her but she doesn’t quite see it that. way. Thankfully both of us are on the mend and my wonderful Dad has the three children for the night while I rest up a bit. Quite why I’m blogging at 5am is a mystery though.

However, hours spent in a hot and stuffy hospital ward haven’t been wasted.

DSCF0477

I have finished what was supposed to be a genderless cardigan for Ann-Marie’s new grandchild (due on Valentines Day). Here’s hoping it’s a girl or there will be a rush job on in a couple of weeks.

I love making these vintage patterns. They have a style that seems so right for babies.

DSCF0476

And my little invalid is the next to receive a cardigan. I think I’ve mentioned that I’m not a stripes person, but when ever I step back and look at this I just think of ice cream and I smile. Hopefully I won’t want to give her a quick lick when she’s wearing it.

Finding it impossible to sleep in the hospital I sat by Janae’s bed with just enough light from the corridor to knit. The night nurses snuck in about 1am and caught me. They thought it quite hilarious to find a mother knitting in the dark in the middle of the night. I’m not sure I saw the funny side.

Thankfully the weather has cooled a bit, sleep is coming easier for all of us and our invalid is starting to get her appetite back. (There’s nothing sure to get the tears welling up than seeing your child standing quietly under a hot stream of the shower with her ribs sticking out.) So I think we’re heading back to normality at last. I’m sure a few more games of Dora snap will help too.

3 comments:

  1. Oh poor Janae..and you...glad she is on the mend..hope the same for you..and here's hoping it's a girl...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hope she feels better soon, it's such a worry when they're not well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are both on the mend. Beautiful little jacket.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete