About Me

My Photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Weathering the storm

It’s half way through the summer hols and I need to be completely honest by telling you it’s been the hardest three weeks in a very long time. The heat and humidity has been awful and the children have been hot and fractious. And with both my parents away I’ve been struggling a little. However, Dad’s home tomorrow (hopefully) and he’s taking the two older ones to stay on the boat for a night. They’ll love that.

So, in a bid to distract myself I went out to the Spotlight sale and came home with fabric to make my girls some pyjamas.

DSCF0429

Here’s my little model proudly sporting the latest in bed wear fashion in our home. She loves these so much she’s been wearing them since they were completed. Thankfully the lovely Carolyn dropped by for a cup of coffee and pointed me in the right direction regarding pillowslip tops. These are so much fun and so easy to make I think Janae and Kayley will soon have drawers full of them. I will attempt a halter neck version for Kayley if I’m feeling brave enough.

DSCF0428

Before the lovely Carolyn’s tutorial this was my effort in a top. Alas I wasn’t too happy with it but Janae was thankfully. Her face may not show it however, She was getting to the “I’m too hot and tired to be your model any more Mummy” stage. I get that.

And there was one more transformation that took place at the sewing machine today. Janae found this dress in the closet at Nanny’s house (we had a holiday there while the place was empty).

DSCF0425

As you can imagine, she loved the way the skirt twirled when she danced but the top was too tight to do the buttons up. So I whipped the top off with the scissors, folded over the middle, bunged on a piece of elastic and now she has a skirt.

DSCF0427

It’s not the most beautiful job, but once again she’s totally in love with it and danced around to the radio for ages.

Now I just have to figure out how to make some things for Rogan so he doesn’t feel left out.

 

DSCF0430 And this afternoon we were rescued by Janet who invited us there for a cool swim and a BBQ. It was bliss. I had a quick dip and then sat in the shade chatting and knitting.

Tomorrow’s adventure will be a trip up to the strawberry farm to pick some strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. I have a friend’s husband who needs bribery by chocolate cake to do a fix-it job for me and I need raspberries for that. Blueberry muffins will go down very well for afternoon tea. And a bowl of strawberries and cream would do nicely for pudding.Then I must hunker down and get my gender neutral cardigan completed as I have one I want to start for Janae . . . oh and more sewing.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pj's and that skirt is great, you can tell Janae loves it! Beautiful photos.
    Seems strange to read of strawberries and raspberries when we have the snow and it is ccccold. (although it is not as bad here as in other areas).
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol, that's so kind. Hopefully you are keeping warm

      Delete