About Me

My Photo
The past two years have been all about adjusting to motherhood and finding my way through it via craft. The out pouring of this came in the form of my blog Aunty Mum. Now I'm finally finding my feet, the children are growing, I'm getting some independence and my interests are morphing . . . into cooking. Join me in exploring creativity in many forms, food, fabric, frowns and laughter.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Popping In

Well, hello. I can scarcely believe it’s been so long since my last post saying goodbye. I’m not entirely sure if this is “hello” again or merely “hi” in passing. But I’ve been beavering away on so many projects and it’s just not so much fun when you can’t share so I’ve dug out the camera, dusted it off and taken a couple of pics to share.

Firstly though, if I were to say to you “such fun” in a plummy almost “awfully” English accent who would you immediately think of? Hopefully my new heroine . . . Miranda.

DSCF0572

My very gorgeous friend Sara loaned me this book and for the first time in quite possibly years I’ve been unable to put a book down. To put it very simply, it’s hilarious. In fact, I get quite worried of an evening when I’m tucked up in bed reading that I’ll wake the children with my raucous laughter. I HIGHLY recommend this as a read. And it’s available on Kindle too. Now I’m just hanging out for the next series to find out which proposal Miranda accepts. (Hopefully it’s Gary as he’s so much better in the way of eye candy.)

Anyway, work is going very well. I’m loving the job, am challenged mentally on a daily basis, have some very exciting projects in the pipeline and am happy to report that I’ve only wanted to resign twice and that wasn’t the fault of the job really. And I’m also pleased to report that I’m still yarning along every chance I get. I’ll show you.

DSCF0569

Here’s a blanket I started about three weeks ago. I don’t have a pattern to share as it’s something I remember from many, many years ago when someone tried to teach me to crochet but I was too young, too interested in boys and crochet just didn’t fit my image back then. I’m trying to ‘stash bust’ with this one but still keep it looking a little cohesive with the white as the constant. I got a little carried away with the starting chain so it’s about the width of a double bed and each colour stripe is taking about half an hour. But that’s all good as this is one project I don’t feel I have to finish before starting another, which is good as I have a number of WIPs going at present.

DSCF0567

And another blanket I started yesterday. A lovely lady I know has a five month old grandson that she will be caring for two days a week when her daughter goes back to work. This particular lady is a real inspiration to me so I decided I’d like to make her something for her gorgeous boy. I do have a pattern for this one on a website a friend shared with me the other day . . . Bernat. I’m sure you’ve heard of it, but it’s new and exciting to me. You can find the pattern here. I’m having a ball with this one and today I got a little blue fluffy yarn to do the final round, just to give it an ‘edge’ so to speak.

DSCF0571

And the last thing I’ll share is a project I’ve asked my yarny friends to join in on. Our oncology department at the local hospital needs hats for those undergoing chemotherapy. This is the hat I’ve made and I’ve asked others to make one or two so we can take them up and keep those dear patients warm while they have their treatment. This is my first attempt at fair isle and I’m so pleased with it. Knitting fair isle feels like you’re racing through as something different is happening every round. I will definitely be trying something like this again. And if knitting things for your own hospital is something you’d like to do get your friends involved. There are always needs in geriatric care, paediatrics and oncology . . . and many other departments too.

As for my little darlings, we’ve been held siege by chicken pox for the last three weeks. Kayley is the last to go down with it and she’s suffering a bit poor wee lass. The astounding thing is that she is NEVER sick so, while her lack of appetite was something we expected, her lack of conversation is astounding. Just the other day I informed her that she doesn’t need to fill every silence with words, and now I feel a little guilty about that. I’m just grateful they’ve come in the winter because I can only imagine how awful it would be to have chicken pox in the summer.

Well, thank you for taking the time to catch up. I have a feeling that I may post a bit more as projects get finished; well, I hope so anyway.

Lovely seeing you again.

Belinda xx

4 comments:

  1. So good to read your bloggy wonderfulness. I have still got a few bits and bobs to do but will join in with the beanie knitting soon. xxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great Kate. I'm always free on Fridays so we'll put our heads together for a knit and catch up.

      Delete
  2. Good to see you popped in :-). When my kids caught Chickenpox they gave it to me - very uck! Kayley doesn't have them in her throat does she, they can, and might explain her quietness - poor darling xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the chicken pox thankfully; she has them everywhere so I'm sure there are some in the throat too. She's on the mend but still resembles a wilted lettuce leaf by 6pm. Lots of love going her way.

      Delete